Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

this morning resulted in tears as we walked into school with brody's jacket. he was begging me to leave his jacket in the car giving me every explanation possible. none of which i bought.

finally, in the hallway, he sat down and cried. "my friends will make fun of me because thomas the train is on my jacket...i need a jacket with a football on it."

after taking a big gulp and holding back my own tears as we stumble into a new world of being made fun of...i told him what any other mom would...

it's simple honey...when your friends make fun of you then you just gently knock them down and then kindly beat the hell out of them.

...so... what i really said was what my friend jodi taught me...you see she's a really, really, really good mom and she doesn't beat people up. except for that one time in college...


is thomas the train in your heart, brody?

yes

are footballs in your heart?

no

then it's ok to wear a jacket with thomas and you don't need the same jacket as your friends. you wear what is in your heart, ok? and your friends can wear what is in their hearts.

ok, mom. but i think thomas will be in my heart at home and footballs will be in my heart at school.

(sigh). ok, buddy. we'll get you a new jacket this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. 1.) You are an amazing mom.

    2.) He is an amazing kid.

    3.) I'm going to beat up anyone that makes fun of him so you don't have to.

    4.) Why does blogger hate me and make it so hard for me to comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness. i'm crying. similar story, but not the same. i'm always telling 4-year old Oscar that he's "a great kid." I'll ask: "do you know what you are?" and he replies: "A great kid!"
    He came home from school last week and said: "Kennedy said I'm not a great kid and that I'm just like everybody else." I was so caught of guard and heartbroken and just replied: "Well, Kennedy's wrong. You're the greatest kid ever."

    ReplyDelete